In my journey to turn my health around, reversing Rheumatoid Arthritis and reclaiming my health, there have many factor that helped me on my path, food was and continues to be, my most valuable medicine. Along the way I made many discoveries about how the foods I ate impacted my disease and how I felt, but perhaps the single most valuable lesson for me has been reducing the overall amount of carbs I eat and increasing healthy fats, protiens and veggies. This doesn’t mean that I don’t eat carbs at all, but simply that I’m aware of what kinds of carbs I eat and how frequently I eat them.
As a busy chef and active athlete, if I know that if I’ve got a particularly big day or tough workout ahead of me, then it’s a good time to plan a morning meal with some sensible carbs and a good balance of fats and protiens. I’m always looking for ways to create quick, efficient, delicious and healthy meals and a little homemade, gluten-free granola with kefir is the perfect way to gear up for an intense day.
I came up with this granola as a great way to start the day because it’s made with healthy nuts and seeds and is low in sugar and high in healthy fats. Mix in some full-fat, plain kefir, or add your own twist and throw in some fresh berries, and you have a great, easy and delicious power breakfast.
- 1 Cup full-fat, organic Lifeway Kefir
- 2 cups of a mix of gluten-free rolled oats, kamut flakes and spelt flakes
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of raw Honey
- ½ cup refined coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup raw cashews, macadamia or almonds or a mix of all three
- ½ cup millet
- ½ cup Dried fruits: I like a mix of cranberries, pineapple, apricots, mango
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In one bowl, combine the rolled oats mix, coconut flakes, chia seeds and nuts/grains. In another bowl, combine the honey and the coconut oil.
- Combine the contents of the two bowls together.
- Spread the mix in an even layer on a sheet tray lined with parchment. Use more than one if needed.
- Bake in the oven, stirring constantly, until granola mix is evenly golden, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from oven, let cool. Mix dried fruits into the granola mix.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container.