This is one of my favorite simple dishes to make in the height of Summer when the gardens and stores are over flowing with Summer squash and zucchini. I tend to eat a lot of salads in the Summer and I usually make sure there’s a generous amount of vegetables in my salad and some sensible protein.
There’s really no cooking whatsoever that goes into this dish, just a variety of raw Summer vegetables, simply prepared. You’ll need a mandoline or slicer adapter on your food processor to cut the veggies as thinly as possible.
- 12 ounces mixed summer squash, such as small zucchini, yellow squash, and patty pans, cut into paper-thin rounds
- 4 ounces mixed radishes, such as red, watermelon, and cello, cut into paper-thin rounds
- 4 ounces best-quality tuna packed in olive oil, flaked into large chunks
- 2 shallots, cut into paper-thin rings
- 24 sun gold tomatoes, halved
- 1 Serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 cup paper-thin slices raw purple cauliflower
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice 4 limes, rinds reserved
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Chopped fresh dill and cilantro, for serving
- 1 2-ounce chunk Parmesan cheese
Toss the squash, radishes, tuna, shallots, tomatoes, chile, oil, and lime juice in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide among serving plates and top with the fresh herbs. Zest the lime rinds directly on top, then shave the Parmesan on top using a vegetable peeler. Serve immediately.